Monday, March 20, 2017

April OHMS PTSA Meeting

Our next OHMS PTSA meeting will be on Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:00 pm. We will meet in the conference room adjacent to the office. Please note the later time!!!

March PTSA Meeting Minutes

OHMS PTSA - Minutes
March 2, 2017

Called to order: Brittany Maxfield
Meeting commenced at: 9:08 am
Pledge/Thought:
Attendance: Brittany Maxfield, Mike Glenn, Stephanie Hansen, Denise Heninger, Tressa Spigarelli, Shannon Smith, Larissa Call, Noel Hinton, Emily Stout, Tracie Garrard, Jill Smith

1.  Approval of minutes:  Stephanie approved, Mr Glenn – 2nd them

2.  Treasurer's report:  Wells Fargo bank account is officially closed. Mt America account is now open. $19,865.12 is our balance. All lost checks are taken care of. Stephanie will need invoice to pay for the Fight the New Drug Assembly.

3.  PTSA report – Mrs Stirland not able to attend.

4.  Principal's Report – Musical “Little Mermaid” starts tonight, charge is $3.00 – all money is used for new equipment. You can go to showtix4u.com to purchase tickets online.
·         Our numbers are down a little from last year… 1080 this year vs 1108 last year
·         Fewer Parents are coming to Parent/Teacher Conferences in the Spring.

5. President’s Report
·  Book Fair recap – We sold $1,900 this year which is less than most years. It needs to be at least $2,000. What can we do to increase sales? Offer coupons to teachers? We did a raffle this year for free books. Since fewer parents are coming to Parent/Teacher Conferences, fewer parents purchase books. We can discuss later if we want to only do one book fair each year.
·  PTC Dinner recap - Dinner was good! Teachers appreciated it! Thanks for all the hard work that went into getting all the food and setting up and cleaning up!
·  White Ribbon Week – Larissa is coordinating this week. She has planned to get white flags for kids to sign and put in the front of the school in the grass.  $13.68/per 100 flags – she is getting 500 flags. Have the PTSA and SBO kids put the flags out. Something is planned for each day.  Tentative schedule:
Monday – White Flags for kids to sign and put in grass
Tuesday – Assembly – Wear white – Whiteout and give out white lifesavers at lunch
Wednesday – Lunch Activity
Thursday – Texting Activity – “Don’t pass it on”
Friday – Donuts at lunch
#OHMSfighthenewdrug – use social media to advertise and promote Fight the new Drug
·  Fight the New Drug – Assembly will be on Tues, March 14th for kids and Parent Meeting that night at 7:00 pm at Oquirrh Hills Middle School.  Send Skylert to all parents in area schools to invite to Parent assembly. Brittany will contact local churches, Jill will contact Fight the New Drug and see if they have any promotional posters we can use. Counseling Center will get fliers up, everyone asked to let their local church leaders know about the parent assembly.  Concerns were discussed about having the parent meeting after the kids’ assembly. We will see if parents have any feedback this year.
·  Oquirrh beanies – do this next year
·  Memory Book
·  Eagle of the Quarter--extra help for May was discussed
·  PTA membership drive--give away the remaining vending bucks, airborne and arctic circle gift cards. – We will save these items for next year

·  Elections – Voted on PTSA Board for 2017-18 Mr Glenn motioned and Noel – 2nd  All in favor, no one opposed
President – Shannon Smith
President Elect –
Legislative VP - Rebecca VanSkyHawk
Treasurer – Stephanie Hansen
Secretary – Jill Smith
Volunteer Coordinator – Denise Heninger
Membership –
Red Ribbon – Beth Kunz
Blue Ribbon –
White Ribbon –
Reflections – Noel Hinton
Teacher Appreciation /B-days – Brittany Maxfield / Denise Heninger
Bookfair Chair – Tressa Spigarelli
Webpage Coordinator – Denise Heninger
Eagle of the Quarter – Emily Stout
Memory Book Co-Chairs – Amy Powell / Beth Kunz
Parent/Tchr Conf Dinners – Brittany Maxfield
·  Positions needed to be filled – Need Pres Elect, Membership, Blue Ribbon/White Ribbon
·  Meeting time change – Discussed changing the meeting time to 1:00 so Mrs Stirland can attend. This time works for most everyone. 
6. Counseling Center – Mr Cherry was not in attendance

7. Memory Book –

8. Teacher Appreciation Week – 1st week in May – Dr Seuss Theme

9. Legislative – Report on Day at the Capitol – Report by Shannon Smith – PTSA Students met with Mike Anderson, and superintendent – Patrice Johnson. They watched the Senate and the House. They had lunch in the cafeteria. They met with the Lt Governor at the Governor’s mansion at 1:00.  They had a great time. Mr Glenn and Shannon will get receipts for expenses.  Approximately $50 for 2 Suburbans and $? for Lunch

BILLS:  There are 3 bills that we should be aware of:
1.       HB401 – trying to get $$ back for funding
2.       HB243 and HB 220 – Sage Testing
3.       SB234 – School turn around – making schools more effective

10. Upcoming Activities

11. New Business – Brittany asked Mr Glenn to start thinking about what the PTSA can give them as a school gift. The PTSA will have about $1,000 to $2,000 to give the school.  Ice machine ??
·         Add Budget Adjustment for next year to next month’s Agenda.

12. Eagle of the Quarter

13. Field Day – Coming up May 26th


Next Meeting – Thursday, April 6th - 1:00 pm

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

March PTA Meeting

Thursday, February 2, 2017

OHMS PTSA Nomination Notice

NOTICE:       Nominations for 2017-2018 OHMS PTSA Board

PTA BOARD                                                                2017-2018

PRESIDENT                                                                SHANNON SMITH

PRESIDENT ELECT                                                                                                                            

LEGISLATIVE VP                                                      REBECCA VANSKYHAWK                                              

TREASURER                                                               STEPHANIE HANSEN

SECRETARY                                                                JILL SMITH

VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR                                   DENISE HENINGER                                       

MEMBERSHIP                                                                                                                                   

RED RIBBON                                                                  BETH KUNZ

BLUE RIBBON                                                                    

WHITE RIBBON                                                                                                                 

REFLECTIONS COORDINATOR                                  NOELLE HINTON

TEACHER APPRECIATION                                           BRITTANY MAXFIELD
                                                                                           DENISE HENINGER

BOOKFAIR CHAIR                                                         TRESSA SPIGARELLI

WEBPAGE COORDINATOR                                          DENISE HENINGER

EAGLE OF THE QUARTER                                           EMILY STOUT

MEMORY BOOK CO-CHAIRS                                  AMY POWELL
                                                                                          BETH KUNZ

TEACHER BIRTHDAYS                                                     
                                                                                               
CONFERENCE DINNERS                                              BRITTANY MAXFIELD
                                                                                           DENISE HENINGER

HARMON’S DAY               

Questions? Contact Denise @ ohmsptsa@gmail.com

Posted 2/2/17                                                                                                                                    

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

December PTSA Meeting Minutes

OHMS PTSA -- Agenda
December 1, 2016

Called to order:  Brittany
Meeting commenced at:  9:05 am
Pledge/Thought:
Attendance: Mrs. Stirland, Brittany, Emily, Beth, Noel, Denise, Shannon, Jill, Stephanie, Tressa, Mr. Cherry, Mr Glenn

1.  Approval of minutes – Approved by Denise and 2nd by Shannon

2.  Treasurer's report – We put our first deposit for the year book $16,785.00

3.  PTSA report – PTSA students got their jackets. They are selling Cotton Candy during OquirrhRush, helping with caroling, and helping SBO’s collect money.

4.  Principal's Report – Mr Glenn
·         Honor Flight – recipient came to meet student.
·         OquirrhRush Fundraiser this year is for Millie’s Princess Foundation – a cancer research foundation that will help 7 families in Riverton HS boundaries.
·         Talked about doing a “Service-athon” next year and include the surrounding elementary schools.

5.  Mini meeting – much was accomplished during this mini-meeting!

6. President’s Report
·  Blue Ribbon Week - Cookies were not that good.  Next time do donuts with blue frosting on them.
·  Eagle of the Quarter January 24-26
·  Book Fair 2/13-17 – We will be using the PTSA kids to help out
·  Awards
·  Art Grant – There is a $500 art grant on the PTA.org website. Have the Art teachers check this out.
·  Nominating Committee – Noel, Tressa, Denise, Beth
·  Next year’s board:  Pres – Shannon, Stephanie – Treasurer, Jill - Secretary
·  Bring your parent to school day – March ??
·  Emergency Kits – We need one in each classroom with food & water for 24 hour needs
·  Oquirrh Shirts and hats – Logo was sent to see about making t-shirts and hats
·  JetBlue Ticket winner – Brenda Petersen

7. Counseling Center
·  Utah Scholar Training 12/15 @ 1:00 – Presentations are Jan 5th
·  Reality Town – Big thanks to the parents!!
·  Career Day – March 8th for 8th & 9th grade / 7th grade Job Shadow Day (need 40 parents)
·  SAGE results – OHMS dropped, whole district dropped in Language Arts. 10% opted out of Sage last year.
·  SAGE = CRT – Need to measure the teachers effectiveness.  It’s OK for some kids to opt out, but only for necessary reasons. Teachers work to prepare for the SAGE, Kids need to take the test more seriously. It can be used as a good measurement of how the schools are doing.
·  Talk with Jen Atwood (School Board Member) – We need to educate the parents on SAGE – District needs to back and support SAGE

8. Mini meeting

9. Legislative
·  There are over 150 bills open in the legislature dealing with education
·  PTA Day at the Capitol 2/22 – Planning on taking PTSA kids, get Suburbans to take kids, try to meet Lt Governor and go to the Governor’s Mansion

10. New Business – Thank you gift from Brittany

Note: There will be no PTA Meeting in January

Next Meeting – Thursday, February 2nd    


Volunteer Hours needed for President’s report… Please email your hours to Jill Smith at mattjill88@gmail.com

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

November PTSA Meeting Minutes

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

OHMS PTSA Meeting Minutes from October 6, 2016



Called to order: Brittany Maxfield
Meeting commenced at: 9:36 a.m.
Pledge/Thought:  “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscle; but today it means getting along with people.”  Mohandas K Ghandi
Attendance: Stephanie, Brittany, Beth, Emily, Denise, Becky, Jill, Mr. Cherry, Mr. Glenn, Noel, Tressa, Shannon

1.  Approval of minutes: Stephanie approved, Emily 2nd

2.  Treasurer's report – Stephanie - Started with $14,134.28… ended $13,479.99
·         got $558 in PTA donations
·         paid $180 Insurance
·         spent $900 Hospitality

3.  PTSA report – Mrs. Stirland was excused since her baby was sick.. 
·         They announced 5 new students for the PTSA.

4.  Principal's Report – Mr. Glenn
·         Vision screening needs 10 volunteers from 8:15 – 9:15
·         PTC dinners were good
·         Community Council Meeting - $15,000 to school for more after school programs such as: chess club, volleyball, basketball, greenhouse, Art
·         The school got it’s official grade from the district…. It is a “B”

5. Presidents Report
·         Book Fair/PTC – Tressa reported that we earned $3,000.  Half of it will go to scholastic dollars.  It is the most we have made in the past 2 ½ years. We had better books!  At the spring book fair we will have Utah Authors and Award winners.  Spring P/T Conference will be Feb 15 & 16
·         Change in meeting time – Due to Mr. Glenn having a meeting the first Thursday of the month, we will move the meeting to 9:00 am so he can be with us for the first hour.
·         Membership – Discussed how to hand out membership cards. Decided to send an email to all members advising them that if they want their card to come to the school and get it.
·         Eagle of the quarter – Nov 1, 2, & 3
·         Blue Ribbon Week – Nov 7-11
·         NetSmart – Nov 9th
·         Vision Screening: 10 volunteers 10/13 8:15-11:00
·         Memory Book - We discussed a price change but did not come to any conclusions. 
·         We discussed the drawing for the JetBlue tickets. Once the winner is selected Jill will get the certificates ordered so winner has a year to use them.

6. Reflections – Noel reported that entries are due Oct 19th by 3:00 pm.  She has put the posters in the school, emailed, texted and called parents so they would be aware of the due dates. There were approx. 55 packets distributed. There will be a table in the entry to collect the packets on the due date. She is still looking for judges for Visual Arts, Dance, Film, Music and Photography.

7. Red Ribbon Week – Beth reported that it went well and there was good participation from the students.

8. Counseling Center – Mr. Cherry
·         Mr Cherry reported that the JATC Tour will be Nov 1st at 9:00 am.  They are looking for approximately 20 volunteers to help go on the field trip. Volunteers would need to be here from 8:45 am to 11:45 am
·         NetSmart assembly will be Nov 9th during Blue Ribbon Week
·         They will begin meeting with 8th grade parents and students
·         Reality Town will be Tues, Nov 15th for the 9th graders.  They will need approximately 50 volunteers from 8:00 – 12:00
·         Interm Evaluation – Needs assessment needs to be done for next year.  Each child needs a permission slip

9. Legislative -

10. New Business:
·         T-shirts – Becky McKenzie reported a few different option for ordering t-shirts, hoodies and beanies.  Sweatshirts were $17.00 and t-shirts $5.00.
·         Discussed sending order form home with kids.
·         Discussed Flash Store (online) where parents can order for Christmas without the kids knowing and it’s easier for us. We may get a kick back and if so, it could be a community partner donation. – This was the winner.
·         Becky will set up the online store.



Next Meeting – Thursday, November 3rd at 9:00 am

Volunteer Hours needed for President’s report… Please email your hours to Jill Smith at mattjill88@gmail.com


Meeting adjourned: