Saturday, September 16, 2017
The PTA Program is underway! “Within Reach” is the theme for this year. You can enter a project in one or more of these categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography and Visual Arts. The due date for entries is Wednesday, October 11th by in the office. There will be a table set up in front of the office that morning. All the rules and forms can be accessed here - . You can also pick up an entry packet in the office. You will need to complete a Student Entry Form, Artist Statement and Consent Form if required for your category (please view the “Consent Form Guidelines”). Make sure you closely read and comply with the “Rules Summary” and the specific rules for the category(s) you enter. You may submit 1 entry PER category. Prizes for all participants…so, encourage your friends to participate. Get your creative juices flowing…we can’t wait to see what you create! Contact Noel Hinton or with any questions.
Thursday, September 14, 2017
OHMS PTSA Board Members 2017-2018
President Shannon Smith
President Elect Maxine Conrad
Legislative VP Rebecca VanSkyHawk
Treasurer Stephanie Hansen
Secretary Jill Smith
Volunteer Coordinator Denise Heninger
Red Ribbon Week Beth Kunz
Blue Ribbon Week Beth Kunz
White Ribbon Week Wendy Osborn
Reflections Coordinator Noel Hinton
Teacher Appreciation/ Brittany Maxfield/
Conference Dinners Denise Heninger
Book Fair Chair Tressa Spigarelli
Webpage Coordinator Denise Heninger
Memory Book Co-Chairs Beth Kunz/Amy Powell
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
OHMS PTSA - Minutes
September 7, 2017
Called to order by: Brittany Maxfield
Meeting commenced at: 11:40 AM
Pledge/Thought: "Leadership is the capacity to translate a vision into reality." - Warren G. Bennis
Attendance: Brittany Maxfield, Denise Heninger, Emily Stout, Andrea Hogan, Tressa Spigarelli, Maxine Conrad, Stephanie Hansen, Beth Kunz, Mike Glenn, Steve Cherry, Amy Powell, Jill Smith, and Terry Price. (Shannon Smith excused due to a funeral, and Noel Hinton due to illness.)
Welcome / Introductions – Pass out board member sheet
President's Report –
· Bylaws - 12 PTSA members available to vote.
Motion by Steve Cherry
2nd by Denise Heninger
· Ethics – signed by all in attendance.
· Fiscal Management – signed by all needed.
· Year at a glance – reviewed and added a few things.
· PTSA donated $2,000 to OHMS to go towards 5 gallon “Go Kits” for each class and Pebbled Ice Machine for Faculty Room
Treasurer’s Report and Budget - Stephanie Hansen
· Budget was voted on:
Motion by Stephanie Hansen
2nd by Mike Glenn
· 187 PTSA Members so far this year – How can we get more?
· Some schools are adding the membership to their yearbooks.
· We can offer JetBlue Travel Certificates as incentive.
· 1 set for Teachers & Staff
· 1 set for Teacher Appreciation
· We do have Airborne and Arctic Circle certificates to give away.
· OHMS charges $6.00 that breaks down to: $1.75 State PTA, $2.25 National PTA, .35 cents Council and $1.65 to OHMS
· Jordan Foundation Scholarships – We can get from $2,000 to $7,000 in scholarships each year if we apply.
PTC Dinners – Parent/Teacher Conferences will be Oct 11th & 12th Brittany and Denise have it handled!
PTSA Report – Welcome Ms. Hogan! She reported that they are starting to collect applications and will do interviews next week. They will be taking 5-6 new PTSA Student members.
Red Ribbon Week – Nov 6-10 – More details to come. Peterson’s will make the donuts. They are giving us a good deal!
Blue Ribbon week –
· Netsmartz Assembly – is scheduled for Thurs, Sept 28th during 3, 4, and 5th periods. They will discuss anti-cyber bullying and “Being a good digital citizen”
· . Peterson’s will make the donuts. They are giving us a good deal again.
Counseling Center – Mr. Cherry
· Diversity Week – Counseling Center will be coordinating with Foreign Language Week to talk about Diversity and Tolerance. There is lots of diversity at OHMS: LGBT, Transgender, Race, Ethnic and Different Countries. Discussed activities such as Wall of Tolerance, Balloons in different colors, etc. “How are we all diverse but all the same = OHMS Eagles.
· My Name is ______________, I like _____________, And I am an Eagle!
· “Everyone Belongs”
· Survival Skills Unit
· Parent University
· Reality Town coming, Tuesday, Nov 7th
· Trying to meet with all 7th graders by the end of September – One on one interaction with each student
· Individual Meetings for 8th graders will start the week of November 6th,
· Regence Scholarship – There is a conference on Sept 29th that Mr. Cherry will attend to get new information.
· BYU Credit Recovery Program – Mr. Cherry has been meeting with them and has found some great things out about this program.
v All classes align with State standards
v Costs are reasonable
v New law says you can replace your grade with new grade if class is retaken.
Principal’s Report – Mr. Glenn
· Hello Week – Next week is Assembly
· Excited for a new year!
· 7th Grade elections coming up.
· Enrollment is stable
· Reports show OHMS Student Body is 1079 this year.
· Mentioned OHMS will be selling beanies and looking into knitted socks with OHMS logo on them.
· Last Day of the Quarter is Oct 26th
· Community Council Meeting is September 14th at 5:30 pm
· Standard Based Grading – 4,3,2,1,0 – We have 7 teachers trying it out this year.
Calendar – If you need anything scheduled you can check with the front office.
Reflections: Noel Hinton is in charge and she has set a due date of Oct 11th for submissions from OHMS students. All projects are due to Council by the 1st of November. She is looking for judges to help.
Next Meeting – Thursday, October 5th at 11:30 am (first Thursday of each month)
***** We discussed moving the meeting to 12:30 or 12:45 so Mrs Hogan can come during her lunch. We can each bring our brown bag lunches J
Meeting adjourned: 12:42 PM
Wednesday, September 6, 2017
OHMS PTSA - Meeting Minutes
February 1, 2017
Called to order: Brittany
Meeting commenced at: 9:08 am
Pledge/Thought: “Some men see the world as it is and ask why; others see the world as it might be and ask why not.” - Bernard Shaw
Attendance: Steven Cherry, Beth Kunz, Stephanie Hansen, Shannon Smith, Denise Heninger, Emily Stout, Tressa Spigarelli, Brittany Maxfield, Jill Smith
1. Approval of minutes – Mr Cherry approved, Beth 2nd
2. Treasurer's report – We have $20,000 in our account. We will be changing banks to Mountain America. Motion to approve bank change was Shannon Smith, 2nd was Brittany Maxfield. We have a missing check. Stephanie will try to locate it.
3. PTSA report – Mrs. Stirland was not able to attend.
4. Principal's Report – Oquirrh Fest/Rush - OHMS collected about $22,000. The communication between the High School and OHMS was not very good. They will probably not combine next year. F Report for 9th grade = down 47%
5. Mini Meeting
6. President’s Report
· White Ribbon Week – Fight the new drug assembly during school on March 14th – with a parents night assembly on March 14th at 7:00 pm, We discussed different ideas for the week: Getting donuts to hand out (white frosting?), White Out, White Flags for front yard and Banner. Mr Cherry will check with the Fight the New drug people and see what they have that we can use. We talked about dropping an old computer off the roof during both lunches with the theme – “Smash Pornography out of your life!”
· Book Fair 2/13-17 – Tressa reported that they will set up next Friday, Feb 10th and leave it till Thurs, Feb 16th. List of volunteers needs to be sent to Tressa for helper during the book fair. There will be a drawing for a prize for each book you buy. We discussed having a Book Exchange at the end of the year for summer reading.
· PTC Dinners – Wed – Pizza (either Costco or The Pie) and Thurs - Sizzler who will provide chicken, baked potatoes, rolls, salad and rolls
· Nominating Committee – Officers elected in March – So far this is our list:
1. President – Shannon Smith
2. Pres Elect –
3. Legislature – Rebecca Van Sky Hawk
4. Treasurer – Stephanie Hansen
5. Secretary – Jill Smith
6. Volunteer Coordinator – Denise Heninger
7. Membership -
8. Teacher Appreciation – Brittany Maxfield
9. Bookfair – Tressa Spigarelli
10. Webpage Coordinator -
11. PTC Dinners – Brittany Maxfield
12. Memory Book – Beth Kunz & Amy Powell
13. Red Ribbon Week – Beth Kunz & Amy Powell
14. Blue Ribbon Week -
15. White Ribbon Week –
16. Eagle of the Quarter – Emily Stout
17. Reflections –
19. Teacher Birthdays -
· Oquirrh Shirts and hats – (I left before this was discussed… Denise ?
· Teacher of the Month – (I left before this was discussed) Denise ?
7. Counseling Center
8. Memory Book
· PTA Day at the Capitol 2/22 – Shannon has arranged to take students to meet with the Lt. Governor at 10:00. Mr. Glenn got approval to drive. There will be approx. 15 students. Suburban, Substitutes and Food has been arranged.
10. New Business –
· Discussed moving the meeting on Thursdays to 1:00 pm – Brittany will talk to Mr. Glenn.
Next Meeting – Thursday, March 2nd - 9:00 am?? or 1:00 J
Volunteer Hours needed for President’s report… Please email your hours to Jill Smith at email@example.com