OHMS PTSA - Minutes
March 2, 2017
Called to order: Brittany Maxfield
Meeting commenced at: 9:08 am
Attendance: Brittany Maxfield, Mike Glenn, Stephanie Hansen, Denise Heninger, Tressa Spigarelli, Shannon Smith, Larissa Call, Noel Hinton, Emily Stout, Tracie Garrard, Jill Smith
1. Approval of minutes: Stephanie approved, Mr Glenn – 2nd them
2. Treasurer's report: Wells Fargo bank account is officially closed. Mt America account is now open. $19,865.12 is our balance. All lost checks are taken care of. Stephanie will need invoice to pay for the Fight the New Drug Assembly.
3. PTSA report – Mrs Stirland not able to attend.
4. Principal's Report – Musical “Little Mermaid” starts tonight, charge is $3.00 – all money is used for new equipment. You can go to showtix4u.com to purchase tickets online.
· Our numbers are down a little from last year… 1080 this year vs 1108 last year
· Fewer Parents are coming to Parent/Teacher Conferences in the Spring.
5. President’s Report
· Book Fair recap – We sold $1,900 this year which is less than most years. It needs to be at least $2,000. What can we do to increase sales? Offer coupons to teachers? We did a raffle this year for free books. Since fewer parents are coming to Parent/Teacher Conferences, fewer parents purchase books. We can discuss later if we want to only do one book fair each year.
· PTC Dinner recap - Dinner was good! Teachers appreciated it! Thanks for all the hard work that went into getting all the food and setting up and cleaning up!
· White Ribbon Week – Larissa is coordinating this week. She has planned to get white flags for kids to sign and put in the front of the school in the grass. $13.68/per 100 flags – she is getting 500 flags. Have the PTSA and SBO kids put the flags out. Something is planned for each day. Tentative schedule:
Monday – White Flags for kids to sign and put in grass
Tuesday – Assembly – Wear white – Whiteout and give out white lifesavers at lunch
Wednesday – Lunch Activity
Thursday – Texting Activity – “Don’t pass it on”
Friday – Donuts at lunch
#OHMSfighthenewdrug – use social media to advertise and promote Fight the new Drug
· Fight the New Drug – Assembly will be on Tues, March 14th for kids and Parent Meeting that night at 7:00 pm at Oquirrh Hills Middle School. Send Skylert to all parents in area schools to invite to Parent assembly. Brittany will contact local churches, Jill will contact Fight the New Drug and see if they have any promotional posters we can use. Counseling Center will get fliers up, everyone asked to let their local church leaders know about the parent assembly. Concerns were discussed about having the parent meeting after the kids’ assembly. We will see if parents have any feedback this year.
· Oquirrh beanies – do this next year
· Memory Book
· Eagle of the Quarter--extra help for May was discussed
· PTA membership drive--give away the remaining vending bucks, airborne and arctic circle gift cards. – We will save these items for next year
· Elections – Voted on PTSA Board for 2017-18 Mr Glenn motioned and Noel – 2nd All in favor, no one opposed
President – Shannon Smith
President Elect –
Legislative VP - Rebecca VanSkyHawk
Treasurer – Stephanie Hansen
Secretary – Jill Smith
Volunteer Coordinator – Denise Heninger
Red Ribbon – Beth Kunz
Blue Ribbon –
White Ribbon –
Reflections – Noel Hinton
Teacher Appreciation /B-days – Brittany Maxfield / Denise Heninger
Bookfair Chair – Tressa Spigarelli
Webpage Coordinator – Denise Heninger
Eagle of the Quarter – Emily Stout
Memory Book Co-Chairs – Amy Powell / Beth Kunz
Parent/Tchr Conf Dinners – Brittany Maxfield
· Positions needed to be filled – Need Pres Elect, Membership, Blue Ribbon/White Ribbon
· Meeting time change – Discussed changing the meeting time to 1:00 so Mrs Stirland can attend. This time works for most everyone.
6. Counseling Center – Mr Cherry was not in attendance
7. Memory Book –
8. Teacher Appreciation Week – 1st week in May – Dr Seuss Theme
9. Legislative – Report on Day at the Capitol – Report by Shannon Smith – PTSA Students met with Mike Anderson, and superintendent – Patrice Johnson. They watched the Senate and the House. They had lunch in the cafeteria. They met with the Lt Governor at the Governor’s mansion at 1:00. They had a great time. Mr Glenn and Shannon will get receipts for expenses. Approximately $50 for 2 Suburbans and $? for Lunch
BILLS: There are 3 bills that we should be aware of:
1. HB401 – trying to get $$ back for funding
2. HB243 and HB 220 – Sage Testing
3. SB234 – School turn around – making schools more effective
10. Upcoming Activities
11. New Business – Brittany asked Mr Glenn to start thinking about what the PTSA can give them as a school gift. The PTSA will have about $1,000 to $2,000 to give the school. Ice machine ??
· Add Budget Adjustment for next year to next month’s Agenda.
12. Eagle of the Quarter
13. Field Day – Coming up May 26th
Next Meeting – Thursday, April 6th - 1:00 pm