OHMS PTSA - Minutes
December 7, 2017
Call to order/ Pledge: Shannon Smith
Meeting commenced at: 12:45 PM
Attendance: Shannon Smith, Maxine Conrad, Brittany Maxfield, Mike Glenn, Jill Smith, Stephanie Hansen, Denise Heninger, Tressa Spigarelli, Rebecca, VanSkyHawk, Beth Kunz, Steve Cherry
Approval of Minutes:
Food – Please grab some food!!
President's Report – Shannon Smith
· Volunteers for Oquirrh Fest – Need volunteers in the morning and at both lunches. Sent list around for sign ups.
· Council Meeting – Reflections
Treasurer’s Report and Budget - Stephanie Hansen
· $15, 115.82 – Starting Balance
· $394.66 - Health/Safety
· $75.82 – Eagle of the Quarter
· 221.08 – Reflections
· $43.12 – Reality Town
· $206.12 – PTC dinners
· $14,175.02 – Ending Balance
Reflections – There will changes on how to submit artwork
The awards breakfast was a good thing
The “Principal’s Award” should continue
Eagle of the Quarter – January – Things are in control! There was a suggestion to offer fruit at the breakfast as another option.
Webpage – We need to post Meeting Minutes and Reminders
PTSA – Ms. Hogan
Principal’s Report – Mr. Glenn
· Oquirrh Fest is going well. We have $7,000 so far but it usually goes up the last week. The jail is going great! There is so much positive energy! Healing Hearts, Riverton Holiday Heroes. Gordman’s is matching up $2,500 to buy clothes for teens that need clothes. That should help about 250 kids.
· Some of the different groups that came up with the ideas for Oquirrh Fest: PTSA, Stage Crew, SBO’s, Lit Magazine, Science Olympiad, Soar.
· Next year they want to focus on a Service-a-thon at the Elementary
· Voting on change for graduation requirements:
1. Computer Tech – a mandatory 8th grade class was proposed. Currently, it is required in 7th or 8th. It will be called Digital Literacy – it is a 1 semester class.
2. PE may only be required in 8th or 9th
· Every teacher has a computer lab
· Math is on video so they can watch it over if they need it.
· Using Tech to make our classes more engaging
· Kids are cheating – taking pictures and sending to friends.
· More quizzes
· Blended learning – learning technology to help with learning
· Standard Based Grading – we are moving towards this in all classes.
Counseling Center – Mr. Cherry
· Reality Town – Thank you for Reality Town!!
· End of Year testing – usually 5 weeks and SAGE will be 1 essay instead of 2.
· It will start May 7th and be in a 2-block schedule – different departments will test each day.
· 7-8th grade test
· 9th grade – no test
· 10th grade Inspire – ACT Prep test
· 11th ACT
· BYU Credit Recovery Program – needs hours of work from Mr. Cherry. We will need to set it all up. We can pick standards we want to focus on. Our goal is to launch mid-way 3rd Quarter
· Testing – May 18th
· AP Test Geography will be at Oquirrh
· Utah Scholars – not doing it this year.
· Regents – there are changes in the program. It will be based more on need.
· PTA Day at the Capital – Mr. Glenn must get a drug test. Andrea Hogan will be the other driver. Rebecca VanSkyHawk will be going this year.