OHMS PTSA - Minutes
January 11, 2018
Called to order: Shannon Smith
Meeting commenced at: 12:42 PM
Pledge: Shannon Smith
Attendance: Shannon Smith, Maxine Conrad, Emily Stout, Beth Kunz, Andrea Hogan, Denise Heninger, Steve Cherry, Mike Glenn, Tressa Spigarelli, Stephanie Hansen, Jill Smith
President's Report – Shannon Smith
· Volunteer hours: OquirrhFest – Please log your hours on the volunteers sheet. Next President’s report is due February 1st.
· Minutes from December 2017 PTSA Meeting approved.
· Cone meeting
· SCC Meeting tonight if anyone wants to attend.
· Year at a glance and meeting times – decided to leave meeting at 12:30 pm the 1st Thursday of each month.
· Board members next year: Still need to fill a few positions
o President – Maxine Conrad
o Pres. Elect –
o Secretary – Denise Heninger
o Treasurer – Amy Powell
o Legislative –
o Volunteer Coordinator -
o Membership –
o Red Ribbon -
o Blue Ribbon – Beth Kunz
o White Ribbon -
o Reflections –
o Teacher Appreciation/Birthdays/PTC Dinners –
o Book fair Chair – Tressa Spigarelli
o Webpage Coordinator –
o Eagle of the Quarter –
o Memory Book Co Chairs – Beth Kunz / Amy Powell
· February is PTA Membership Drive month – We will send out an announcement to all parents that we will be putting everyone’s name in a drawing for JetBlue tickets if they join the PTSA. Jill will get a list of what PTA does for you to send out on the announcement.
· WHY – We Help You
Book Fair – Mar 13th and 15th - Tressa is working on it. We need to get volunteers to sign up to help.
Parent / Teacher Conference – Mar 13th and 15th
· One day will be Hawaiian Feast
· Second day still figuring out – possibly a Food Truck
· (Lots of options were thrown out: Rumby, Café Rio, Jim’s, Olive Garden, Sizzlers, Kneaders, Costa Vida, Salsaleedos, Marco’s Pizza, Texas Roadhouse, Midvale Mining
March White Ribbon Week – Mar 19 – 22 - Wendy Osborn is in charge. She can contact Mr. Cherry if she needs any help. In the past we have had different activities on each day. Some examples are: White Out (everyone wears all white), 500 white flags with signatures on each side, hand out cookies or donuts at lunch, Video clip during TA, etc
Treasurer’s Report and Budget - Stephanie Hansen
Reflections - Noelle
Eagle of the Quarter 9-11- Emily
PTA Day at the Capitol – Beth Kunz and Rebecca VanSkyHawk
· They are deciding between getting a bus ($250) or renting suburbans
· PTSA students will go and are considering asking the SBO’s to attend this year
· Contacting Lt Gov Cox to see if we can get in to see him.
· February 22nd is the date planned
· Budget is $350.00 this year to cover transportation and lunch at the Capitol
· Last year we spent $282.30
PTSA – Ms. Hogan
· Thank you for all the help during OquirrhFest!
· One PTSA Student has moved (Penelope) and they will be using the Alternate to take her place.
· Book Fair Volunteers from PTSA – They will get one student per per shift to help.
· They are working on getting hoodies for PTSA students. The cost is $17.29 each. Usually the students pay $5.00 and the school covers the rest.
Principal’s Report – Mr. Glenn
· IB Programs at High Schools – all schools have to apply to be an IB School and the Board will select which school
· The School Board will fund the program
· All schools have to have similar classes
· Hillcrest does it now.
· State changes to Middle School class offerings
· Graduation Requirements are changing
· New Class is Digital Literacy that will be offered in 7th or 8th in place of keyboarding
Counseling Center – Mr. Cherry
· Rah Rah January 25 for incoming Seventh Grade Students
· Meeting about Seventh Grade Registration for Parents and Students January 25 at 6:00 PM
· Study Skills Update
Other business: JetBlue Travel Certificates – Jill
· We discussed when would be the best time to have the ticket valid for. We decided as a group to have them good from June 1, 2018 – May 31, 2019. Jill will get them ordered and then we will decide how to distribute them between parents and teachers for the Membership drive in February.