OHMS PTSA - Minutes
September 7, 2017
Called to order by: Brittany Maxfield
Meeting commenced at: 11:40 AM
Pledge/Thought: "Leadership is the capacity to translate a vision into reality." - Warren G. Bennis
Attendance: Brittany Maxfield, Denise Heninger, Emily Stout, Andrea Hogan, Tressa Spigarelli, Maxine Conrad, Stephanie Hansen, Beth Kunz, Mike Glenn, Steve Cherry, Amy Powell, Jill Smith, and Terry Price. (Shannon Smith excused due to a funeral, and Noel Hinton due to illness.)
Welcome / Introductions – Pass out board member sheet
President's Report –
· Bylaws - 12 PTSA members available to vote.
Motion by Steve Cherry
2nd by Denise Heninger
· Ethics – signed by all in attendance.
· Fiscal Management – signed by all needed.
· Year at a glance – reviewed and added a few things.
· PTSA donated $2,000 to OHMS to go towards 5 gallon “Go Kits” for each class and Pebbled Ice Machine for Faculty Room
Treasurer’s Report and Budget - Stephanie Hansen
· Budget was voted on:
Motion by Stephanie Hansen
2nd by Mike Glenn
· 187 PTSA Members so far this year – How can we get more?
· Some schools are adding the membership to their yearbooks.
· We can offer JetBlue Travel Certificates as incentive.
· 1 set for Teachers & Staff
· 1 set for Teacher Appreciation
· We do have Airborne and Arctic Circle certificates to give away.
· OHMS charges $6.00 that breaks down to: $1.75 State PTA, $2.25 National PTA, .35 cents Council and $1.65 to OHMS
· Jordan Foundation Scholarships – We can get from $2,000 to $7,000 in scholarships each year if we apply.
PTC Dinners – Parent/Teacher Conferences will be Oct 11th & 12th Brittany and Denise have it handled!
PTSA Report – Welcome Ms. Hogan! She reported that they are starting to collect applications and will do interviews next week. They will be taking 5-6 new PTSA Student members.
Red Ribbon Week – Nov 6-10 – More details to come. Peterson’s will make the donuts. They are giving us a good deal!
Blue Ribbon week –
· Netsmartz Assembly – is scheduled for Thurs, Sept 28th during 3, 4, and 5th periods. They will discuss anti-cyber bullying and “Being a good digital citizen”
· . Peterson’s will make the donuts. They are giving us a good deal again.
Counseling Center – Mr. Cherry
· Diversity Week – Counseling Center will be coordinating with Foreign Language Week to talk about Diversity and Tolerance. There is lots of diversity at OHMS: LGBT, Transgender, Race, Ethnic and Different Countries. Discussed activities such as Wall of Tolerance, Balloons in different colors, etc. “How are we all diverse but all the same = OHMS Eagles.
· My Name is ______________, I like _____________, And I am an Eagle!
· “Everyone Belongs”
· Survival Skills Unit
· Parent University
· Reality Town coming, Tuesday, Nov 7th
· Trying to meet with all 7th graders by the end of September – One on one interaction with each student
· Individual Meetings for 8th graders will start the week of November 6th,
· Regence Scholarship – There is a conference on Sept 29th that Mr. Cherry will attend to get new information.
· BYU Credit Recovery Program – Mr. Cherry has been meeting with them and has found some great things out about this program.
v All classes align with State standards
v Costs are reasonable
v New law says you can replace your grade with new grade if class is retaken.
Principal’s Report – Mr. Glenn
· Hello Week – Next week is Assembly
· Excited for a new year!
· 7th Grade elections coming up.
· Enrollment is stable
· Reports show OHMS Student Body is 1079 this year.
· Mentioned OHMS will be selling beanies and looking into knitted socks with OHMS logo on them.
· Last Day of the Quarter is Oct 26th
· Community Council Meeting is September 14th at 5:30 pm
· Standard Based Grading – 4,3,2,1,0 – We have 7 teachers trying it out this year.
Calendar – If you need anything scheduled you can check with the front office.
Reflections: Noel Hinton is in charge and she has set a due date of Oct 11th for submissions from OHMS students. All projects are due to Council by the 1st of November. She is looking for judges to help.
Next Meeting – Thursday, October 5th at 11:30 am (first Thursday of each month)
***** We discussed moving the meeting to 12:30 or 12:45 so Mrs Hogan can come during her lunch. We can each bring our brown bag lunches J
Meeting adjourned: 12:42 PM